HMP Springhill is a Category D Open Prison with an operational capacity for 335 men. It is jointly managed with HMP Grendon (situated next door) and despite sharing some common services they operate as separate units and exist for vastly different reasons.
Its purpose is to prepare prisoners for release by addressing accommodation, employment, vocational training and offending behaviour needs. Staff have worked hard to build relationships with employers and have a successful ‘release on temporary licence’ (ROTL) programme in place with many men going out to work in the morning and returning to prison at night.
Basis of Reception Criteria
- No current sex offences
- No offenders presenting a risk to children
- No current arson offences
- No outstanding court appearances
- No foreign nationals unless accompanied by completed Immigration & Nationality Department documents
Source: Ministry of Justice (MOJ) and Independent Monitoring Board (IMB) report 2019/2020
Springhill Wood Workshop
Made by the prisoners and available for purchase Furniture Shop Brochure Jan 2020
BACO Prisoner Support Service
Since March 23rd 2020 our BACO prisoner support volunteer (PSV)has been receiving applications from the men remotely, with the help of the staff in the Business Hub to whom we are very grateful. Once the lockdown restrictions are eased and in line with MOJ & Public Health England protocols we look forward to resuming more regular visits to meet with the men and discuss their plans for the future. The BACO volunteer is also invited to quarterly meetings hosted by Head of Industries and Business/ Community Engagement and regularly consulted as a valued third party organisation held in high regard by staff and prisoners.
Grants focus on:
- Trade qualifications
- CSCS cards (a health and safety requirement for anyone to work on a construction site)
- Training courses: 360 excavator training, Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) training, Personal Track Safety (PTS) (a requirement for working on the Railways)
- Driving lessons
- Driving licences and tests
- Work clothing if not provided by employer
- Travel expenses
- Birth certificates
- Specialist tools
- Further educational courses Drawing Connections at the Edge